Ansley Park Historic District gets expansion

Ansley-Park-237x300The Ansley Park Historic District has been expanded and added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The district was originally listed in the NRHP in 1979. This nomination expands the district north to Beverly Road and was sponsored by the Ansley Park Civic Association.

According to information provided by the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Ansley Park was Atlanta’s first automobile suburb and was primarily developed by Edwin Ansley between 1904 and 1920. The neighborhood includes excellent examples of early-20th-century houses in the prevailing styles and types common to Georgia in that time period. Many of the houses were designed by the city’s most well-known architects, including Haralson Bleckley, A. Ten Eyck Brown, Bruce and Everett, Edward Daugherty, Walter T. Downing, Henry Hornbostel, P. Thornton Marye, Pringle & Smith, Neel Reid, Phillip Shutze, and Leila Ross Wilburn.

The houses include early-to-mid-20th-century brick, frame, and stone buildings that represent a variety of building types and styles. The westernmost sections of the district along Peachtree Circle, 15th Street, and the northwest section of The Prado to Inman Circle were in the original plat and have the largest lots with mandatory 40- to 50-foot setbacks. The large frame and brick houses found there were built in a variety of architectural styles including Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, and English Vernacular Revival. The lots in the northeastern section were platted in later phases, and are significantly smaller with 35-foot setbacks. Houses found on these smaller lots include Craftsman-style bungalows, as well as vernacular forms such as the American Small House and Gabled Wing Cottage. The district includes several apartment buildings, a private golf club, and the First Church of Christ, Scientist.

Ansley Park is also recognized for its landscape architecture plan designed by Salon Z. Ruff, who based his design upon Frederick Law Olmsted’s principles for a picturesque suburb: wide, winding streets separating small blocks with a mix of both residential lots and parks on each block.