The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation announced today the successful completion of its $1.7 million campaign to fund the “green” rehabilitation and restoration for Midtown’s historic Rhodes Hall, headquarters of The Georgia Trust. To date the Trust has exceeded its goal by more than $120,000.
The first phase of rehabilitation is complete: more efficient HVAC systems have been installed on the main and second floors; more effective insulation systems were placed in the basement and attic; roofs have been inspected and repaired; the enclosed sleeping porch has been restored; the fourth floor tower has been rehabilitated into office space; and the original decorative pressed tin ceiling panels on the front and side porches have been restored or replaced in kind.
Currently The Georgia Trust is restoring Rhodes Hall’s 111 historic wood windows.
Future plans include implementing a Grounds Use and Maintenance Plan that considers sustainability, Rhodes Hall’s historic landscape plan and the functional needs of the facility; and upgrading bathrooms, catering kitchen, and work stations.
Leading donors were the Lettie Pate Evans Foundation, The Kendeda Fund – Grants to Green – Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, D. Lurton Massee Community Fund of the Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta, The Frances and Beverly M. DuBose Foundation, Ms. Christine Lambert, O. Wayne Rollins Foundation, and Mr. and Mrs. Leslie G. Callahan III. The chair of the campaign was G. Kimbrough Taylor, who was integral to its success.
An open house and celebration at Rhodes Hall is set for June 1, 3-5 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. Light hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be served. Guests will be able to tour the building and talk with the experts who have planned and performed the work. Rhodes Hall is located at 1516 Peachtree St. For more details, visit GeorgiaTrust.org.