The City of Decatur and Georgia Historic Preservation Division have partnered to host the sixth annual Decatur Old House Fair on Feb. 8 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, 130 Clairemont Ave., in Downtown Decatur.
The event will feature industry experts offering fresh ideas, practical advice, innovative materials, and quality services for owners of older homes. This year’s theme, “Form Follows Function,” explores the relationship between home improvement and historic charm through an array of DIY, sustainable living, maintenance and renovation tracks.
Homeowners get the latest “green updates” and renovation ideas for kitchens and baths, attend seminars and workshops on restoring windows and repairing plaster, and much more. The fair also includes a large exhibit hall of professionals, retailers, and suppliers specializing in home improvement, historic preservation and interior furnishings.
The exhibit area opens at 9 a.m. and seminars begin at 10 a.m. Some of the topics include:
- Hands-on workshops on restoring wood windows
- Researching Your Old House
- Plaster Repair
- Creating a Maintenance Plan for Your House
- Insulation 101
- The “Smart Home”
- Wood Windows: Repair or Replace?
- Stump the electrician! Bring your problems and get some answers.
- Storm Windows
- Historic Tree Care and Maintenance
- Aging in Place
- Energy Efficiency Updates for Older Homes
- In Over My Head! DIY or Hire a Pro: How to Know
- Permitting 101
- Spending Money Wisely: Saving Money and Financing Dream Projects
- Understanding Wood Floors and Wood Details in Older Homes
- Insuring Your Historic Home
- Period Kitchens for Older Homes
For a complete seminar schedule, exhibitor details and ticket information, visit DecaturOldHouseFair.com. Ticket are $10 when purchased in advance, $15 at the door.